A HPDP staff community service project seeks to raise $2,000 for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure by participating in the Triangle race on Saturday, June 12 at Meredith College in Raleigh.
Seven UNC HPDP employees have joined the Hippy DippyHeelraisers team, but they are looking for more members and donations. The race includes a run, walk and “sleep-in” option for donations.
“Folks can still join, and we’d love for more people to join the team,” said Susanne Schmal. “So far, we’ve raised $1,205.”
Breast cancer is the most prevalent cancer in the world today, with about 1.3 million people diagnosed annually. It is a widespread and random disease, striking women and men of all ages and races. However, thanks to heightened awareness, early detection through screening, improved treatment methods and increased access to breast health services, people have a greater chance of survival than ever before.
Many HPDP staffers have been touched by breast cancer, including Wanda Hunter, deputy director for research and operations, who is part of the team.
“As a breast cancer survivor, I am touched and thrilled that the team chose this project,” Hunter said.
Hunter is joined by Molly DeMarco, Cecilia Gonzales, Avia Mainor, Carolyn Naseer, Renee Rendahl, and Susanne Schmal on the Hippy Dippy Heelraisers.
Up to 75 percent of the NC Triangle Affiliate’s net income goes toward funding grants to local hospitals and community organizations that provide breast health education and breast cancer screening and treatment programs for medically underserved women. The NC Triangle Affiliate services area covers the counties of Caswell, Chatham, Durham, Edgecombe, Franklin, Granville, Harnett, Johnston, Nash, Orange, Person, Vance, and Wake.
Please visit the following websites to join the Hippy Dippy Heelraisers for the race or to donate to their team.
Instructions to Join:
1. Visit the Komen NC page
2. Select “register” in the upper right-hand corner and select “join a team that has already been created by a team captain.”
3. Select “I would like to join an existing team” and type “Hippy Dippy Heelraisers” as the team name and click search. The team name should populate, and you can then select “join.”
1. Visit http://www.komennctriangle.org/komen-race-for-the-cure/donate/
2. Select “Donate to a specific team.”
3. Type in “Hippy Dippy Heelraisers” as the team name and click search. The team name should populate, and you can then click donate to this team on their homepage.