The Carolina Campus Community Garden celebrated its first anniversary under sunny skies on May 28. UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp joined garden organizers, volunteers and advocates for the celebration.

The Carolina Campus Community Garden celebrated its first anniversary under sunny skies on May 28. UNC Chancellor Holden Thorp joined garden organizers, volunteers and advocates for the celebration. HPDP Director Alice Ammerman, who helped to gather support for the garden from University administration, was also part of the festivities. Ammerman and other staff from the UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention provided refreshments for the event, including a carrot cake.

“I’m excited to be at an event where Alice Ammerman has made a cake,” said Thorp in his comments. “I know I can eat it without concern for whether or not it’s good for me.”

Ammerman said the cake was truly balanced- with 2 lbs. of carrots and 2lbs. of cream cheese and butter.

The garden uses University land and volunteer hours to grow fresh vegetables and fruits for UNC staff. Visit HPDP’s YouTube channel to see all the comments from the celebration.