The mission of the QRU is to provide support to investigators from the Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention, all five health affair schools of the UNC, and North Carolina public health community in the planning, conducting, evaluating, reporting and disseminating of their qualitative research projects. The QRU offers a variety of skills and experience, consulting with faculty investigators and contributing to presentations and publications.
The QRU is available for consultation at all stages of development of the study and can provide services in the following areas:
- refining study objectives, research questions and identifying key variables,
- choosing the data collection methods and instruments that will best accomplish the investigator’s objectives,
- designing interview and focus group guides that are appropriate for the study design,
- developing formative and process evaluation data collection forms
- training interview moderator and assistants
- conducting interviews and focus groups
- preparing the qualitative analysis section of a grant proposal and/or study protocol,
- managing and preparing qualitative data for analysis,
- conducting and interpreting qualitative analyses of research data, and
- reporting research results, including development of abstracts, presentations for professional meetings, and manuscripts submitted to professional journals.
Requesting Services from QRU
Please contact Maihan B. Vu, Dr.PH, MPH to discuss your project’s qualitative research needs. Dr. Vu is Director of Formative Research for the Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention and serves as the Director of QRU. She coordinates and provides qualitative support services for the unit. When requesting support for the preparation of a grant proposal, it is essential that the investigator allow adequate time prior to the submission deadline.
QRU Staff Contact Information
Dr. Maihan B Vu, QRU Director
Director of Formative Research and Adjunct Assistant Professor of Health Behavior