Deandra Ingram Headshot
Deandra Ingram

Deandra Ingram’s research as an intern at the UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention was honored by her professors and peers when she graduated with a Masters of Public Health this spring.

Ingram was an intern with the Seeds of HOPE project in the 2013 spring semester. Seeds of HOPE uses social support circles as a way to help women reach their personal health goals.

A professional poster contest was a component of the Masters in Public Health program at UNCG, and Ingram’s poster was voted as Most Outstanding by her fellow students and faculty. Ingram said she was excited and surprised to win the award.

“Winning the Outstanding MPH Poster Award showed me that not only did the faculty support my research endeavors and quality of execution, but that my peers also recognized, respected, and supported what I had accomplished during my internship,” Ingram said.

Ingram’s poster displayed the findings of a literature review focused on the social and demographic factors that influence single mothers’ health.

“Most of the current literature focuses on the health of the children,” Ingram said. “The health of single mothers is largely unexplored. The endeavors of my research were to highlight the unique barriers to single mothers’ ability to engage in health promoting behaviors and achieve positive health outcomes. Our hope is that my research has provided a more comprehensive view of single mothers’ health and that my review will add to the literature available on the health of this population.”

Ingram has worked with HPDP since January, and is currently working with Dr. Lori Carter-Edwards to publish her literature review. She said when her internship ends this summer, she plans to continue pursuing public health research.

“Before this internship, I was unsure of where my passions were specifically, but now I am certain I want to continue research in chronic disease prevention,” Ingram said.