FFORC: Food, Fitness and Opportunity Research Collaborative
The UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention’s Food, Fitness and Opportunity Research Collaborative aims to build economic security, improve health outcomes and contribute to community-based research literature to address those affected by inequity in North Carolina. We achieve these goals by collaborating with representatives from all affected groups and focusing on our key strategies:
- Together We Grow– We work alongside community partners to grow and harvest healthy foods while promoting local economies and creating economic opportunities for small farmers.
- Together We Shop– Behavioral economics and social marketing are key components to making healthy food choices. We collaborate with business owners and marketing professionals to find ways to make shopping for healthy food easy and affordable.
- Together We Fight Hunger– Our team seeks to end hunger in North Carolina and around the country by helping to identify innovative solutions to food insecurity and food access with a special focus on ending hunger for children. No Kid Hungry NC focuses on increasing access to healthy foods served through underutilized federal child nutrition programs statewide and provides nutrition education in Orange County.
- Together We Listen– We facilitate community conversations on the relationship between poverty, racism and food insecurity to develop action plans to strengthen community food access.
- Together We Move– We develop coalitions that address the intersection of health and the built environment to create community spaces where people can be active.