The UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention (HPDP) works to bring public health research findings to the daily lives of individuals and communities with a special focus on North Carolina and populations vulnerable to disease. We are seeking paid student interns to help us with our communication, video, social media, web and graphic design activities.
We are able to offer payment based on experience for a 10-20 hour/week commitment, plus provide a unique opportunity for student interns to build their portfolios and take ownership of some of our communication tasks. We will also work with interns to receive class or practicum credit for their time.
Activities we are seeking help for include:
- Writing content for our website (www.hpdp.unc.edu), Facebook page and Twitter feeds. This task is well-suited for someone with experience writing for the web or looking for web experience and interns will get a byline on the site.
- Working with our research team on a major grant application, with exposure to grant management and grant writing opportunities.
- Improving and developing our YouTube channel and creating videos showcasing our projects.
- Designing and updating marketing materials to showcase our Center’s work, including poster presentations, handouts and web materials. Graphic design experience is a plus.
- Tracking media hits, academic publications and presentations.
- Assisting with event coordination and creating materials for specific marketing opportunities.
- Develop and administer an online survey to gain information about the impact of our research projects and inform annual reporting to funders and stakeholders.
- Managing and updating internal databases and excel spreadsheets.
- Updating and managing the HPDP website. Experience with WordPress and online content management is preferred but not required.
We are looking for interns with strong writing skills and a desire to learn more about health communication. In past years, we have hired up to three interns per semester and designed the internship to best meet our needs and interns’ areas of expertise, including graphic design, news and feature writing and web design.
HPDP is located off-campus at 1700 Martin Luther King Jr, Blvd., but on two bus lines. We offer a flexible work schedule and opportunities to work from campus or home. To learn more, contact Sonya Sutton at firstname.lastname@example.org; 966-4118. More information about the Center can be found at www.hpdp.unc.edu.