Race remains an important indicator of success in US society. When other factors that are cited as the probable reasons for health or social problems (e.g., income, education, parent involvement, access to health insurance) are controlled for in statistical analyses, race remains an important independent predictor of health, social, education, criminal justice and other outcomes. The UNC Center for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention is pleased to help promote an upcoming community workshop focused on overcoming racism on February 18 and 19. This workshop is the second to be offered in 2011, and several HPDP staff attended the January event and found it to be a wonderful experience.

February 18-19, 2011

8:00 – 5:00 pm, United Church of Chapel Hill, 1321 MLK Jr. Blvd

The Anti-Racism training delivered by the Racial Equity Institute, LLC is designed to build the capacity of educators, health practitioners, child welfare advocates, judicial representatives, other professionals and others who are interested in understanding and eliminating racial inequities, disparities and disproportionality within our society. It provides an analysis that helps participants gain clarity about the impact of race in institutional practices.

From participants in the January 2011 training:

•    I attended the Anti-Racism workshop this past weekend, and it has been a most profound experience. Two days later, and I’m still trying to process all that I’ve learned. 
I don’t believe I’m exaggerating when I say it was one of the best investments in my life, both personally and professionally! To those of you who did not attend, I implore you, please take advantage of the opportunity next month. It will open your eyes, touch your heart, and change your life. –Rural community organizer

•    (The trainers) deftly led me from one concept to the next until by the end of the workshop many disparate pieces of information I’d held in my head were suddenly locking into place to make a complete picture that finally made sense. So many aha’s in such a short time! And they did so without placing blame, piling on guilt or passing judgment on any individual. Rather, I felt a new door of understanding opening that I am eager to open wider! — UNC School of Public Health project leader

•    It was amazing how interactive the workshop was. I learned as much from the participants as I did from the leaders. The leaders are amazingly skilled at leading and encouraging discussion in a way that includes everyone. –Technical writer at SAS Institute

•    This was truly one of the best workshops I have ever had the privilege of being a part of. –Youth leader

•    I would LOVE to see (my organization) sponsor a training and encourage staff to drop everything for just two days and give this their full attention.  Change has to start somewhere and it can start with us if we are bold enough to push for it. –UNC research staff

To register, please contact Wanda Hunter 919-929-9655 or whunter1@nc.rr.com or Megan Hayes-Bell, 336-362-3533 or hayesbell2@aol.com.

Trainers: Deena Hayes & Suzanne Plihcik (from the Racial Equity Institute). See Racial Equity Institute website for biosketches.

Sponsors: The local Collaborative Committee on Racism (comprised of members from Fisher Memorial United Holy Church in Durham, the United Church of Chapel Hill and the United Voices of Praise gospel choir) and the Racial Equity Institute in Greensboro.